Friday, March 16, 2018

Chapter 16: Christmas Eve

           Christmas finally was here and with it being so close we made plans to see both our parents and break the big news.  We setup time on Christmas Eve with her parents and Christmas day with mine.  Christmas Eve night Alli and I got dressed up to go to church before we headed to her parents.  Before we left for church I pulled out a small box.  "What is this?" Alli questioned.  I smiled and told her just something small for the love of my life.  She smiled and started to tear up and then blamed the baby for her emotions.  She opened up the box there was a very delicate necklace with a simple jewel on it.  It was a stone that was Aquamarine, her birth stone.  The stone was in a very nice setting and cut to a beautiful size and shape.  She teared up, “Dave, it’s beautiful.”  She told me it was too much and I stopped her telling her it wasn’t.  She put it on immediately and looked in the mirror, “It’s beautiful and I love it!”  She kissed and hugged me.  I told her she has a very pretty birthstone and my jeweler does magic.  She put her hands on my face telling me I was the absolute love of her life and starting a family now or later, it didn’t matter. All that matters is we found each other.  I kissed and hugged her telling her I felt the same way.  She looked at me one more time and said “We're a family and I will stand by you forever.”  I told her I would never leave her side either.  We put our jackets on and headed to the car to go to a quick church service.  It was so sweet looking over and seeing my beautiful pregnant girlfriend.  We both were religious but didn’t fully have a church so it was nice we could shop around together.  It was a great service and after we headed over to Alli’s parents house, our car packed up with gifts.  Alli’s hand in mine as we drove.  We talked but we pretty much had a game plan, I told her I was so nervous because we just met and I felt her parents are going to drill into me.  She held my hand telling me they will be excited, they have to.  "If anything goes wrong and you leave, I will be right be right behind you out that door.  We strive as a team and fail as one too."  I told her thanks, but I was still nervous. 

            When we arrived it was just her parents, grandmother and brother.  Everyone else didn’t come that night as they were with their families.  We walked in with our gifts and everyone said hello.  Her parents hugged her and said they were so happy to see us.  Her parents were growing on the fact I was there.  It was only about the 2nd time I was there and now we have to drop this but that’s life.  Once we got settled and everything under the tree her grandmother comes over telling Alli she looks different, a glow to her.  She smiled and there her grandmother looked down.  Alli tried to hide it but her grandmother knew, she was smart, she was just that wise and understanding.  She put her finger to her lips saying she won’t spill.  Alli almost cried and hugged her.  She kissed me saying congratulations smiling and saying she knew I was the one for Alli.  We all sat down and got ready to eat. 

Alli passed on wine and her Mom looked confused.  “You love wine Alli you ok?”  She smiled and told her maybe after dinner.  We ate and talked and Alli’s grandmother sat like a little old lady quietly. She ate and just sat there smiling per she knew our secret first but she wasn’t going to say anything.  After dinner we cleaned up all grabbed something to sip on and start to open presents.  Alli’s Mom put some dessert out that everyone would go and take and come back as we watched each others gifts be opened.   We all exchanged gifts and Alli’s Mom asked about her necklace.  She told her what I did and her Mom gave me a smile of approval.  Even Alli’s brother got me something, he and I started to talk more and found we had more in common and it was really nice.  We all sat around the family room and Alli came out with one more gift.  A small box she gave her parents.  Her Mom smiles and looks down, “Alli, what is this?”  She opens it and sees a pair of little shoes.  Her mom’s mouth dropped and she looks up to Alli tearing up.  Her Dad looked a bit confused per he was being defensive and probably never guess that.

 Alli’s Mom teared up, “You’re pregnant!”  That was it, I thought here it comes raise shields I thought!  Her Mom stands up and hugs her and starts crying, "I’m going to be a grandmother!"  Alli’s Mom looks at Grandma who is smiling.  "Did you know she was pregnant?"  Her grandmother smiles, “Well they didn’t tell me but I’m old enough to know my own granddaughter and when she comes in with a glow on her.”  She sat smiling and winked at us.  Her Dad stood up, “So what’s your plan now?”  I looked at him and said, “Well I have a good job and Alli already got rid of her place and moved into mine a few weeks ago.”  Here mom just held the shoes crying and sitting next to Alli.  Alli stood up, “It’s going to be fine Dad, we both are going to be fine.”  I joked saying "yea I have a good job, Alli has one better so I’ll be the stay at home dad.”  Alli laughed, her Dad didn’t.  He was a bit taken back, “You going to marry her Dave?”  “DAD!!”  Alli shouted "don’t start!"  He continued on, "so now we get tell everyone our grandchild was born out of wedlock, great."  Alli’s mom stood up, "Relax Tim," she said.  “Isn’t anyone responsible anymore?” Tim asked and looked at me.  Alli turned to her father, “It takes two to make a baby ,"she said "so maybe I wasn’t responsible.”  Alli’s mother told her dad to calm down.  I feel her father was protecting his interest and daughter.

            Finally Alli’s grandmother seeing Alli start to cry stood up.  "Tim, sit down!" she shouted, he looked over at her.  Tim shouted, “Not now Mom.”  She walked over to Alli’s father sternly saying “Yes now! I’m too old to worry about the details, my granddaughter is having a baby and all that matters is that we are supportive."  I could see you don’t mess with grandma.  She stood her ground as she stood in front of Alli’s Dad.  She continued on, “There was a day back when where you didn’t have a pot to piss in Tim, your father and I helped you grow and when you married Mary we helped you still.” 
She was not letting up but Alli’s Dad was not either.  "They aren’t married," he said.  “Ohh who cares, if they bring this child in with love that’s all that matters, they can get married later.”  She pointed her finger at Tim, “You’re going to be supportive or don’t be around at all.”  Alli’s mother hugged Alli telling her it would be ok.  Alli’s mom stepped in telling Tim she wasn’t going to let this ruin anything, it was a new life forming and no matter how long they knew each other, get married or not we will be supportive.  Both grandma and mom looking at Alli’s Dad.  Her Dad says, “I just look out for my little one.”  I stood up, but Alli stepped in.  Explaining when she found out she freaked out and I tried to talk to her.  She expressed how good I was and how I tried to let her know everything would be ok and to move in together.  Her parents looked with amazement.  “He’s amazing Mom and Dad and I don’t deserve him but he won’t let go.”  I stepped in saying "I know it’s not ideal but I’ll never let anything happen to Alli or our child.”  Her dad had reserves but that is how it goes.  I stood up and told her parents I loved their daughter more than anything and I would support her and be there for her.  Her mom smiling and crying knew I was being honest and would keep my word.

            Alli’s brother gets up and gives me the biggest hug.  Everyone looks surprised, he was so excited to be an uncle.  I hugged him back telling him I was excited for him too.  I think her family was in shock, her brother very quiet hugging me.  Her bother was excited and I just think he knew this was a blessing.  After everything settled down Alli, her mom and grandmother sat and talked about what to do and what we will need.  Her dad talked to me a bit telling me it wasn’t ideal but what is anymore right?  Kids are born into perfect so called families but not loved.  He told me he can see I love her and it may take time getting used to but it’s ok.  I told him this may not be what we were looking for in our lives but we have to go with it because we have two choices.  We can freak out and this can fall apart or we can step up and make this the best situation we can.  Alli’s mother smiled as I overheard her saying she can now turn Alli’s room into room for the baby to stay in.  Her father looked at me and asked about a house in the future.  I told him we would look into one and he said putting his hand on my shoulder “I know some good contacts and would love to help.”  We spent the remainder of the night just relaxing and talking.  After the shock finally calmed down we all relaxed.  "What about the other family and friends?" Alli asked looking at her mom.  Alli’s mom said "We can fill them in later. Are your parents excited?”  Alli’s mom asked looking at me.  “Well we didn’t tell anyone yet, we are telling them tomorrow.”  She smiled saying she bet they will be excited.  I replied saying I think so.  As the night drew on things got a lot better.  Alli’s dad still nervous but understanding relaxed.  I wasn’t upset I just met him but they know we are both in a good place and will work very hard.  We said our goodbye’s and packed up my car. 

We told them we would be in touch very soon and keep them posted.  They all told us they really want to meet my family and we should do something soon.  I said that would be great and we headed out.  I know it wasn’t the perfect setting to meet your girlfriend’s parents and they needed time to just let everything settle.  We walked out hand in hand and the drive home was quiet.  Alli thanked me for just being by her side.  I kissed her hand as I drove and told her of course and that things will be okay.  I continued on telling her we had a long road but she was stuck with me.  She smiled telling me she wouldn’t want it any other way.  When we got home Alli put her jacket up as I brought in the gifts.  She smiled and said “Home, feels so good to be here.”  We got cleaned up and went to bed.  I rubbed her back telling her we were going to be fine and to be excited not scared.  “We’re having a baby Alli.”  She smiled and said “We are.”  We drifted off to sleep in each other’s arms

Next Chapter: Christmas Day


No comments:

Post a Comment